Sunday, April 15, 2007

Peljesac Region Wines:

I must confess I am not a wine buff, not even one in making but my last visit to Croatia's Peljesac peninsula has made a surprising impact on my well being. To begin with, I was taken back by the beauty of nature and I could not believe sights of thick pine woods we encountered by the road, nor could I stop admiring Ston, a hamlet with a European prototype of a Chinese wall. This historical monument was enacted to ward off the attempts of numerous Turkish invasions during 15th and 16th century to get hold of Ston's sea salt processing plant.
Wine growing was the only way out from poverty trap for Peljesac farmers because nothing more was profitable to cultivate apart from oysters and mussles in the Bay of Ston. Economic migration within peninsula was out question as each village was guarding its habitants for the sake of security and even preservation of its own identity.
Our visit to Matusko winery was a pleasant event. Decorated in local stone, it was giving a slightly modern ambience but on close inspection, dust gathered on bottles was for real.
I learnt that «plavac» - grape sort, was a «father» to Zinfandel and Grgic family, who emigrated to the US between the WW1 and WW2, introduced this sort to the Nappa Valley region.
As far as I could make it Postup, Posip and Dingac are all from the «plavac family».Their esquisity and richness in tannins is a result of the constant exposure to sun and the ground whose mixture is a balance of rich and poor soil.
Wine tour is an event worth visiting if for nothing but the landscape which has blessed the fishermen and made farmers work harder to achieve the richness of local wine.

No comments: